Dr. Johan Lønsmann Poulsen
Eye surgeon and specialist in ophthalmology at the EuroEyes clinic group
- born in 1974
- Vienna International School – International Baccalaureate, graduated 1994
- University of Wales College of medicine, graduated 2000
- Ophthalmology Training, Bristol, UK: graduated 2004 (MRCOphth, London)
- Research Fellowship/Anterior segment, Melbourne, Australia, 2004-2007
- Danish speciality recognition of foreign qualifications, 2007.
- Membership of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists exams (I-III). Final exam completed 2004, London
- General Medicine, Surgery, Neurosurgery and Endocrinology – 2 years
- Ophthalmology – 12 years
- Has performed c. ten thousands cataract operations, including refractive lens operations.
- Previous experience in trabeculectomies, strabismus surgery (basic), oculoplastics (basic), including DCR. Some experience (independent level) in PKPs and simple vitreoretinal surgery – intraocular and extraocular.
- since 2011: Facharzt für Augenheilkunde, EuroEyes
- 2010 – 2012: Consultant Ophthalmologist, Anterior Segment. Department of Ophthalmology, Glostrup Hospital, Denmark
Head of Emergency Department, Glostrup Hospital, Denmark
Associate Professor, Copenhagen University, Denmark
- 2008 – 2010: Specialist in Anterior Segment. Department of Ophthalmology, Glostrup Hospital, Denmark.
Head of In-patient / Ward, Department of Ophthalmology, Glostrup Hospital, Denmark
Senior Lecturer, Copenhagen University, Denmark
- 2007 – 2008: Registrar in Ophthalmology at Glostrup Eye Department, Denmark
- 2005 – 2007: Full-time Senior Registrar (specialist) in Ophthalmology, Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital, Melbourne, Australia
- 2004 – 2005: Full-time Clinical Research Fellow (From Feb 05 – research was conducted in spare time) (as specialist)
Research Project: “A twin study exploring the genetic basis of glaucoma and its associated risk factors.”
- 2004 – 2004: House Officer / Specialist Registrar (specialist)
Various hospitals, and Eye departments, including: Welwyn Garden City, QE2, Watford, and Leyton Hospital (Cheshire) Johan Lønsmann Poulsen
- 2003 – 2004 Senior House Officer in Ophthalmology – Rotation Bristol Eye Hospital, Bristol, UK
- 2001 – 2003 Senior House Officer in Ophthalmology University Hospital of Wales, Cardiff, Wales
- 2001 – 2002 Research and clinical “Fellowship” in Ophthalmology (som reservelæge) The Royal Victoria Eye and Ear Hospital, Melbourne, Australia and The Royal Hobart Hospital, Tasmania, Australia
- 2000 – 2001 House Officer in General Medicine, Diabetes and Endocrinology University Hospital of Wales
- 2000 – 2001 House Officer in General Surgery Llandough Hospital
- 2000 – 2000 House Officer in Neurosurgery University Hospital of Wales
Publications and presentations:
- Hewitt AW, Poulsen JP, Alward WL, Bennett SL, Budde WM, Cooper RL, Craig JE, Fingert JH, Foster PJ, Garway-Heath DF, Green CM, Hammond CJ, Hayreh SS, Jonas JB, Kaufman PL, Miller NR, Morgan WH, Newman NJ, Quigley HA, Samples JR, Spaeth GL, Pesudovs K, Mackey DA. Heritable features of the optic disc: a novel twin method for determining genetic significance. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2007 Jun;48(6):2469-75.
- Poulsen JL, Brown SA, McKinnon J, Mackey DA, Hewitt AW, Toh T, Kearns LS, Hammond CJ. Heritability of optic disc morphology in the Australian Twin Eye Study. In progress
- Poulsen JL, Toh TY, MacKinnon JR, Hewitt AW, Kearns LS, Scotter LW, Hammond CJ, Martin NG, Mackey DA. Ocular and non-ocular influences on optic disc, cup and rim areas – analyses from The Australian Twin Eye Study. In progress
- Bennett SL, Hewitt AW, Poulsen JL, Kearns LS, Morgan JE, Craig JE, Mackey DA. Screening for glaucomatous disc changes prior to diagnosis of glaucoma in myocilin pedigrees. Arch Ophthalmol. 2007 Jan;125(1):112-6.
- Toh T, Liew S, MacKinnon JR, Hewitt AW, Poulsen JL, Spector TD, Gilbert CG, JCraig JE, Hammond CJ, Mackey DA. Central Corneal Thickness is Highly Heritable: The Twin Eye Studies. IOVS. Oct 2005
- Poulsen JL, Brown SA, McKinnon J, Mackey DA, Hewitt AW, Toh T, Kearns LS, Hammond CJ. Optic Disc Morphology in the Australian Twin Eye Study. Paper Presentation, ARVO, May 2005
- Brown SA, Kearns LS, MacKinnon JR, Poulsen JL, Hammond CJ, Scotter LW, Mackey DA. Genetic influence on strabismus and stereopsis in children: The Twin Eye Study Tasmania. Presented by Kearns LS at the X International Orthoptic Conference, Nov 2004
- MacKinnon JR, Brown SA, Poulsen JL, Hammond CJ, Kearns LS, Scotter LW, Mackey DA. Genetic influence on intraocular pressure in children and adults: The Twin Eye Study Tasmania. Clinical Experimental Ophthalmology. 2002 32(1) p14-18
- Connell BJ, Wilkinson RM, Barbour JM, Scotter LW, Poulsen JL, Wirth MG, Essex RW, Savarirayan R, Mackey DA. Are Duane syndrome and infantile esotropia allelic? Ophthalmic Genet. 2004 Sep;25(3):189-98
- Poulsen JL, Mackey DA, Morgan JE. Analysis of Optic Discs from the adult Twin Eye Study in Tasmania. ARVO poster presentation , December 2002
- Poulsen JL, Haider S, Wintle R, North R, Morgan JE. Use of the Z-screen in providing a novel means of objective assessment of the optic disc. Presented at the National Glaucoma Society Conference, London, November 2002
- Haider S, Poulsen JL, North R, Wilde J, Morgan JE. The Virtual Glaucoma Clinic. Presented by Mr Haider at the National Glaucoma Society Conference, November 2002
- Poulsen JL, Wirth MG, Savarirayan R, Craig JE, Wilkinson RH, Barbour, JM, Mackey DA. Duane Syndrome Associated with Congenital Esotropia. 8q13 a candidate gene. In progress.
- Poulsen JL, Wirth MG, Savarirayan R, Craig JE, Wilkinson RH, Barbour, JM, Mackey DA. Duane Syndrome Associated with Mosaic Trisomy 8. Poster presentation at ARVO 2002
- Sheen NJ, Poulsen JL, North R, Morgan JE. Digital Stereoscopic Optic Disc Assessment: Evaluation of a teaching module. Archives of Ophthalmology, October 2002
- Morgan JE, Poulsen JL, Sheen NJ. Digital Stereoscopic Optic Disc Assessment: Evaluation of a teaching module. Poster presentation at ARVO 2001